Here are 5 easy ways to save and love our planet
(Of course, there are many more you are welcome to explore.)
- Get an energy audit from your electric company.
- Turn the lights off.
- Turn down the heat a few degrees in winter (wear a sweater).
- Turn up the a/c a few degrees in summer or use fans (wear less).
- Plug up spaces under exterior doors where heat and a/c may be escaping.
- Repair drippy faucets.
- Turn off water while brushing your teeth.
- Turn off water while shampooing.
- Take short showers instead of baths.
- Skip a shower on days you don't go out.
- Properly dispose of toxic wastes like paint, batteries and cleaning supplies that contaminate our water supply.
- Use xeroscape landscaping requiring minimum water.
- Whenever possible, use a bus or subway, ride your bike or walk.
- Slow down! Reduce your speed when driving.
- Check your tire pressure for better mpg.
- Replace your air filter for better performance and economy.
- Consider a smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicle when shopping for a new car.
- Plan your day to minimize the number of car trips.
- Separate and save paper, glass, plastic and aluminum for your local recycling center.
- Donate to charity unused clothing or household items that are still in good condition.
- Use less paper. Reuse old paper.
- Say, 'No!' to paper and plastic. Take reusable cloth bags to the grocery instead.
- Avoid products that are used once and then thrown away.
- Put used motor oil into a clean plastic container and turn it into an oil recycling location. Do not mix in cooking oil!
- Save used cooking oil for re-use when cooking another meal.
- Buy recycled products.
Save the animals!
- Don't buy products if animals were killed to make it.
- Snip apart each ring of your six-pack plastic drink holder before throwing them out.
- Don't buy pets taken from the wild.
- Support zoos that take good care of animals and breed endangered animals.
- Buy recycled paper and save paper for recycling to help conserve forested habitats.
Earth is our planet, our home. We need to love it and care for it today! Tomorrow is too late. It's the precious legacy we will leave our children, grandchildren and generations to come.